We Are Hiring Our 2022 Summer Trail Crew!
Interested in trail building? We have 1 lead builder and up to 4 trail builder positions available.
Contract dates: July 4 – August 12, 2022
Location: Port Moody – Coquitlam
Hours: 24 hours per week
Application deadline: June 12, 2022
- Lead builder: $25-30 per hour depending on experience
- Trail builders: $20 per hour
Tasks and Responsibilities of the Trail Crew:
- Maintain safe and sustainable trails: clear debris, address water drainage and erosion issues, ensure technical structures remain safe.
- Assist in planning and building new trails according to Whistler Trail Standards: scope areas, plan safe and sustainable technical trail features such as wooden bridges, build trail sections and technical features, ensure protective water drainage, e.g. through rock work.
- Monitoring trails and generating trail reports: inspect trails and write reports for Trailforks and to update land managers.
- Install signage: Install signage to help users safely navigate trail networks
- Communicate with trail users when working on the trails.
1. Lead Builder Position Overview:
The Lead Builder will oversee the work of the trail crew. In collaboration with the TORCA board of directors, the Lead Builder will assess trails and plan crew work. The candidate will coordinate schedules and work locations with the trail crew, give directions, lead and approve the work. As a mentor of the crew, the Lead Builder will share knowledge of trail building practices and standards, guide the crew members, and provide constructive feedback.
Lead Builder Required Skills and Experience:
- Proven experience in building and maintaining trails
- Knowledge of Whistler Trail Standards
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Experience in leading and/or mentoring small teams
- Problem management skills
- Experience in working with youth an asset
Lead Builder Eligibility:
Legally entitled to work in British Columbia.
2. Trail Builder Position Overview
The Trail Builders will work primarily as a team to maintain and build mountain bike and multi-use trails in the Port Moody and Coquitlam. Under the supervision of the Lead Builder, they will inspect and maintain existing trails and potential locations of new trails. With the goal of maintaining and expanding a network of safe and sustainable trails, the builders will use and expand their knowledge of trail building according to Whistler Trail Standards and environmentally protective building practices.
Trail Builder Required Skills and Experience:
- No previous trail building experience required
- Ability to work collaboratively and to follow directions
- Ability to work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions
- Interested in trails and outdoor recreation
Trail Builder Eligibility:
- Between 15 and 30 years old
- Canadian, permanent resident or protected person (as designated under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act) entitled to work in British Columbia
TORCA provides a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We welcome and encourage applications from all eligible individuals regardless of their identity, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, religion, disabilities, gender identity and gender expression.
If you’re interested, please send your resume and cover letter to Tomke at [email protected] by June 12, 2022. Please indicate clearly for which position you are applying.
Positions subject to funding availability.