We Are Hiring Our Summer Trail Crew!
Interested in trail building? We have 3 part-time trail builder positions available.
Contract dates: July 5 – August 13, 2021
Hours: 20 hours per week
Pay: $20 per hour
Application deadline: May 7, 2021
- Between 15 and 30 years old at the start of the employment
- Canadian citizen, permanent resident or protected person (as designated under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act) entitled to work in British Columbia
The trail builders will work primarily as a team to maintain and build mountain bike and multi-use trails in the Port Moody – Coquitlam jurisdiction, namely on Eagle Mountain, Burke Mountain and Bert Flinn Park. Under the supervision of a Lead Builder, they will inspect and maintain existing trails and potential locations of new trails. With the goal of maintaining and expanding a network of safe and sustainable trails, the builders will use and expand their knowledge of trail building according to Whistler Trail Standards and environmentally protective building practices.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Maintain safe and sustainable trails: clear debris, address water drainage and erosion issues, ensure technical structures remain safe.
- Assist in planning and building new trails according to Whistler Trail Standards: scope areas, plan safe and sustainable technical trail features such as wooden bridges, build trail sections and technical features, ensure protective water drainage, e.g. through rock work.
- Monitoring trails and generating trail reports: inspect trails and write reports for Trailforks and to update land managers.
- Install signage to help users safely navigate trail networks
- Communicate with trail users when working on the trails.
TORCA provides a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. We welcome and encourage applications from all eligible individuals regardless of their identity, including but not limited to race, ethnicity, religion, disabilities, gender identity and gender expression.
If you’re interested in and eligible for this position, please send your resume and cover letter to Karaleen at [email protected] by May 7, 2021.
The positions are partially funded by the Government of Canada.